Enrolling at Phoebe Hearst
Students wishing to attend Phoebe Hearst’s Basic Program must apply through the district’s Open Enrollment Process. Phoebe Hearst staff will then determine if applicants meet the Basic Program criteria. Students who meet criteria will then be lotteried through the district’s Open Enrollment Office.
Open Enrollment Dates
Online open enrollment: Tuesday, February 2, 2021 – February 16, 2021
- Phoebe Hearst Wait-list opens for grades not available through open enrollment and for out of district students – Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 7:30am via our website. Submissions will be date and time stamped.
- Phoebe Hearst Virtual Kinder Assessment – Saturday, March 6, 2021 (Assessment takes about 20 minutes. Please sign in 10 minutes prior to your time slot. We will contact you to schedule your assessment approximately one week after you apply for enrollment.)
- Notification letters go out – April/May 2021
Open Enrollment registration dates: In mid-April
- Phoebe Hearst students selected through open-enrollment will register through the Enrollment Center.
New student Ice Cream Social – August TBD, 2021
The Kindergarten schedule is an Extended Day Program, 8:00 a.m. – 12:40 p.m.
Educational Programs at Phoebe Hearst
Two programs are offered at Phoebe Hearst: Basic Education and Gifted and Talented Education (GATE).
Our GATE program is an alternative program for identified GATE students. The program provides not only instruction in basic skills, but enrichment, acceleration, and in-depth learning experiences for the more academically able student.
Our Basic Education Program is an alternative for students and parents who want a more structured learning environment. It is based on the belief that the major function of a school is to provide every student with the opportunity to master the basic academic skills.
Graduating to Middle School
Phoebe Hearst Sixth Graders may want to participate in the Open Enrollment Process to apply for various SCUSD Middle Schools which lie outside of the students attendance area.
For information on how to expedite the Open Enrollment Process: http://www.scusd.edu/open-enrollment-k-8
For more information on SCUSD Middle School Programs:
- Kit Carson: kitcarson.scusd.edu
- Sutter: sutter.scusd.edu
- Will C. Wood: schools.scusd.edu/willcwood
- Alice Birney Waldorf: alicebirneywaldorf.org
- Einstein: einsteinmiddleschool.org
- California Middle: www.calmiddle.org
- John Still: johnstillk8.scusd.edu
- Sam Brannan: sambrannan.scusd.edu
- School of Engineering and Sciences: www.schoolofengineeringandsciences.org
- Rosa Parks: rosaparks.scusd.edu