This morning a student walking to Kit Carson School reported being approached by strangers near the intersection of 45th and M streets. The student shouted which alerted neighbors who contacted law enforcement. The student is safe and officers are investigating the incident. Given our warm weather and more foot traffic in the neighborhood, it’s a good time for parents to go over a few important safety tips:
- There is safety in numbers — avoid walking alone, to and from school.
- Avoid shortcuts — walk only in safe areas.
- Never go into anyone’s home or get in anyone’s car that you do not know.
- If approached or followed by a car, do not approach the car or speak to those inside, even if asked. Run in the opposite direction and seek help.
- Remain alert to surroundings.
- And always report suspicious behavior.